Molds are everywhere starting from the air to various surfaces. With their millions of years of existence on the earth, mold grows anywhere and everywhere when there is moisture. Mold can majorly react to mold exposure in three ways which are allergenic, pathogenic, and toxigenic. The way in which human body reacts to different levels of pathogenesis is also not the same. It depends on the amount of mold that you are exposed to, the species of mold and your own state of health and sensitivity.
What are the allergic reactions caused by mold?
While some people are born sensitive to molds and some might not be the same, most common symptoms associated with mold exposure are mentioned below:
- Mild: Congestion, rash, and watery eyes.
- Moderate: Itchiness and difficulty in breathing.
- Severe: Swelling, problem in breathing, abdominal pain, cramps, vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, and mental confusion.
Which are the pathogenic reactions to mold?
When it comes to pathogenic reactions to mold exposure, it is divided into following three categories:
Superficial reaction is the most common reaction that can occur. It includes everything starting from skin infections to nail infections, athlete’s foot and so on.
This is a little more severe level of mold infection that often happens underneath the skin.
Coming to systemic infection, this is the most severe pathogenic reaction and can be also life-threatening as well. The mold attacks the kidneys, liver, lungs, and organs.
What are the viable toxigenic reactions to mold?
When it comes to a toxigenic mold then it produces a lot of toxins. There are approximately 20 different types of toxins that molds usually produce. Upon exposure to such toxins, you can suffer from the following symptoms:
- Skin rash
- Hormone disorders
- Chronic liver disease etc.